1. Is it a Hazardous Material?
2. Is the Hazardous Material in a Container?
3. Is the Hazardous Material Outside the Container?
4. What is the Physical State of the Hazardous Material?
5. Who or What Is in Harm's Way?
6. Risk Analysis.
7. Protection from Hazards.
8. Systematic Elimination of the Hazard.
Mr. Robert A. Burke is an Author, Instructor, Contributing Editor Firehouse Magazine, and Columnist Firehouse.Com, National Fire Academy Adjunct Faculty. He is a retired Fire Marshal from the University of Maryland, and Community College of Baltimore County Adjunct Faculty Retired, member NFPA 45 Technical Committee for Laboratories Using Chemicals Retired. Mr. Burke has in excess of 30 years of experience at all levels of the fire and emergency services, including fire service training at the local, state, and national levels. He has command experience as chief officer and company officer with both career and volunteer departments and operational experience in both urban and rural environments. His experience also includes Hazmat, Firefighting, Fire Prevention, Fire Investigation, Public Education, Course Development, and Rescue.