An invaluable reference guide to Christian art, its history, and all the subjects and motifs that appear in many classic paintings.
Preface Acknowledgments Abbreviations Introduction Glossary (including Bible, Apocrypha, and other literary sources)
Chapter I: Narratives of Jesus Christ and his mother, Mary, in Christian Art
Chapter II: Themes A. Personages
1. Classical personages & metaphors
2. Biblical and Apocryphal figures
4. Celestial figures
5. Evil figures B. Signs and Symbols
1. Animals, real & imaginary
3. Human Body: Dressed and Undressed
4. Colors; Letters, words & phrases; Geometric shapes
5. Musical Instruments
6. Visual Church
Chapter III:Guide to Christian Art in Churches and Museums
Chapter IV: Timeline Bibliography Illustration credits Index
Diane Apostolos-Cappadona is Professor Emerita of Religious Art and Cultural History and Haub Director in the Catholic Studies Program, Georgetown University, USA.