A collection of newly-translated essays representing the finest post-war German scholarship on Nietzsche.
Introduction Otfried Hoeffe; Part I. The Aesthetic Dimension:
1. Nietzsche's conception of irony Ernst Behler;
2. Nietzsche, philosopher of music Richard Klein;
3. Artistic metaphysics: on Nietzsche's early program for an aesthetic justification of the world Volker Gerhardt;
4. 'The three metamorphoses': a genealogy of the spirit Annemarie Pieper; Part II. Philosophical Themes:
5. Nietzsche's invention of the pre-Socratics Tilman Borsche;
6. Nietzsche's stance toward ancient and modern enlightenment Henning Ottmann;
7. 'An animal that may make promises' Oftried Hoeffe; Part III. Power and Truth:
8. Nietzsche's doctrine of the will to power Wolfgang Muller-Lauter;
9. Nietzsche on the sovereignty of perspectival reason in philosophy Friedrich Kaulbach;
10. On the question of dialectics in Nietzsche's epistemology Alfred Schmidt;
11. Nietzsche's concept of truth Rudiger Bittner; Part IV. Religion and Religiosity:
12. The tremendous moment Joerg Salaquarda;
13. Nietzsche's critique of the reason of his life: on the interpretation of The Antichrist and Ecce Homo Werner Stegmaier.
Otfried Hoeffe is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the University of Tubingen and Director of the Research Centre for Political Philosophy.